Gawler GP Inc collects information from you for the primary purpose of providing quality health care when you access our
service. We require you to provide us with your personal details and a full medical history so that we may properly
assess, diagnose and treat illnesses and medical conditions, ensuring we are proactive in your health care. To enable
ongoing care, and in keeping with the Privacy Act 1988 and Australian Privacy Principles, we wish to provide you with
sufficient information on how your personal information may be used or disclosed in accordance with your consent.
Your personal information will only be used for the purposes for which it was collected or as otherwise permitted by
law, and we respect your right to determine how your information is used or disclosed.
The information we collect may be collected by a number of different methods and examples may include: medical test
results, notes from consultations, Medicare details, data collected from observations and conversations with you, and
details obtained from other health care providers (e.g. specialist correspondence).
In accessing this service and providing us with your personal information for the purpose of providing quality health
care, it may be used or disclosed by the practice for the following purposes:
- Administrative purposes in running our health service.
- Billing purposes, including compliance with Medicare requirements.
- Follow-up reminder/recall notices for treatment and preventative healthcare.
- Disclosure to others involved in your health care, including treating doctors, your usual doctor and specialists
outside this medical practice. This may occur through referral to other doctors, or for medical tests and in the
reports or results returned to us following the referrals.
- For viewing and uploading purposes (when applicable) to your My Health Record (unless consent has been
- Accreditation and quality assurance activities to improve individual and community health care and practice
- Complaint resolution.
- For legal related disclosure as required by a court of law.
- To allow medical staff to participate in medical training/teaching using only de-identified information.
- To comply with any legislative or regulatory requirements e.g. notifiable diseases.
- For use when seeking treatment by other doctors in this practice.
At all times, we are required to ensure your details are treated with the utmost confidentiality. Your records are very
important and we will take all steps necessary to ensure they remain confidential.
If you have any further queries in relation to your health information and how it will be handled by us please refer to
Date Reviewed 26th March 2019
Next Review Date June 2022
Date Published 1/06/2016
Authorised By General Manager